Monday, May 24, 2004

Wanted: Thumb to Hammer

My two brothers-in-law and I began working on kitchen cabinets made out of barn board this last weekend. Despite how I am sure that sounds, they will end up a lot less rustic looking than, well, the side of an old barn.

Although wood when it is outside for a century turns gray and starts to rot, much of the inside of the board is fine. Over the last few months, we've recovered a lot of barn board from collapsed barns in the country side. We dry it out indoors, and then we plane off the old surface. Underneath is pine mostly (some oak and maple, but not much), but it is pine like you can't buy today. Pine today is milled from rapidly grown replanted trees, and the wood has little character - few knots and little colour to it. This old stuff looks like antique pine. But it also looks new!

It rained constantly. I went in swimming last week, but the ice only melted off the lake about a month ago, so it was quite chilly. This weekend, it was not hot enough to motivate me. And the water was even colder!

So it was just as well making cabinets. I am not a natural at carpentry. In fact, my Dad once chased me with a hammer after putting a huge dent in the panel he was having me nail. I know he has always valued many things about me, but I also know that he never believed I would ever be able to wield more than a staple gun. On the other hand some people are naturals - you should see the work my one brother in law does. And it is a good thing we had him to lead the way!

I have taken my few natural abilities quite far, considering the little innate talent I have for it. I know how to do tongue and groove on a table saw and a router. I'm good with a planer and a chop saw. I can operate a skill-saw, and a jigsaw. I can also mostly pound even finishing nails without putting all kinds of dents into the boards. I don't have many friends who can do all that! :)

A person does not have to get good at everything in life. But it is nice to know that if you work hard enough at it, you can take charge of your failings, and turn them into strengths.

No comments: