Saturday, November 11, 2006

Last day of forty

Today is my last day of being forty. Which means I will be, as my niece pointed out to me with glee last night, "more than forty." The evening I turned forty, I sat and watched a fiery red sunset on a perfectly calm evening. It was a reminder to me that some things become very beautiful as they fade.

And my life has become very beautiful indeed. If I were to sit down next to that slightly younger version of me today and tell him, "Dude, you'll be a grandfather before the year is out," I am sure Younger-Me could scarcely believe it. Things are changing, and the old patterns of my wife and I's lives are shifting.  I can't tell yet exactly where it is going to go, but I don't fear it. I'm looking forward to it.

6 comments:

Lane said...

Hey young man, Happy (early) Birthday. Today I am 42.

Blessings to you on this finest of occasions. May you see all that you are here to see. May you learn all you are here to learn and may you give all that you are here to give. May you get...well, the get part I see by your blog, is covered.

evolver said...

Happy birthday, Lane. I hope you have a great forty third year!

Ph said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Irina Tsukerman said...

Happy Birthday! Here's to many more happy years and wonderful surprises! : )

mscamille said...

Happy belated birthday!

evolver said...

Thank you, thank you. :-)