Saturday, November 25, 2006

The cat nurse

I am thinking - knock on wood - there is a chance he might pull through. He's getting steadier on his back legs. The first day, he could hardly move and kept falling over. But slowly he's gone from immobile to just awkward, and he doesn't just give up and sit there now - his spirits have risen, and if he wants to go somewhere, he goes there, even if he looks funny doing it. Every day, his back legs are getting stronger.

Last night, on the way home from the rehearsal, I tried to think of something he'd love so much that he'd eat it, even if he has been disinclined to eat lately. Tuna, I thought, and so I stopped by the store on the way home, bought myself Sunchips, and him, a can of tuna.  Sure enough, he gobbled it down. That morning, I had set out milk for him, and he had lapped up that as well. And best of all, this morning he begged at his dish! Begged! So he got more tuna out of me.

When I talked to my father over Skype yesterday, he thought that perhaps Dusty had had a stroke. It makes sense. Four days ago he looked like he had lain down to die. He could hardly move, see, or do much more than lift his head in a sickly way. Now he's just a stiff and clumsy version of his old self.

We are on bonus time with a much-loved kitty who is already twenty, and for this, I believe we are very fortunate. :-)

No comments: