Wednesday, November 1, 2006

I boycott Trans-fats

When I go down the supermarket aisle, now, for our weekend snacks, I will pick up the bag that I really want - cheese bits, popcorn, potato chips, bits and bytes. Yes, I pick up the bag, and turn it over, inspecting the ingredients. If I see trans-fats, I put it back on the shelf and refuse to buy it.

So this is my message to vendors of these junk foods. I am something more powerful than any government trying to ban your cooking or deep frying process. I am more frightening to you than yesterday's ghouls and ghosts, or even today's consumer advocates and medical professionals.

I am your customer. Correction - I am your ex-customer, and potential future customer. I do not buy your product right now, because I do not want your product to kill me. You want my money? Ditch the trans-fats.

2 comments:

Lane said...

BanTransFats.com

We too have noticed here in Texas and do not but these products.

evolver said...

I've seen that site. There are the two trains of thought with the issue of legislative action against Trans-fat. On the one hand, the argument is made that this is symptomatic of the Nanny State.

On the other hand, there is the fact that, unlike products, Restaurants do not label and often do not have that nutritional info available. If you can't make an informed choice, then can you be said to have a choice?

It will be interesting to see how the future of this rolls out. At home, we've switched to olive oil. :-)