Tuesday, September 5, 2006

Things change

Her alarm was set for six. Mine for six thirty. By the time I got up, she was dressed, packed, had made herself breakfast and lunch, and she was ready to go. So much for my theory. But tonight, she still wanted me to walk her upstairs when she went to bed... you know, monsters in the upstairs hallway and whatnot. There are still threads that tie back to the time when she was ever so little, though not so many as a parent would like. Still, you gratefully accept what remains, for she is always that little girl to me, no matter how grown up she gets.

In truth, I likely wasn't up at six this morning because I am not sleeping any more. I have terrible dental pain, and have since about halfway through the vacation. It gets unbearable at night if I lie down, and I can't sleep standing or sitting up. It has been weeks since I've had more than a sporadic good night's sleep. The first dentist I saw couldn't find anything (either that, or he didn't try very hard to find anything.) Then I went to the doctor in case it was medical. He seemed to think it was some kind of swollen nerve, but it isn't - a week of anti-inflammatories later, and I'm still suffering. I have another dentist appointment tomorrow - this time with the clinic where my longtime dentist moved. Wish me luck. I've been living in pain for weeks, and would be happy to catch a break from it.

1 comment:

Ph said...

You gotta wake up earlier. I can call you at 5:45 when I wake up if you want...