Thursday, September 21, 2006

"You're good on the phone..."

For some reason, I got the list of the church communications team volunteers,  for the purpose of inviting them all to church to be blessed on Tuesday. So I told the editor of our parish newspaper that I would call them all. Now I'm not much of a phone enthusiast. In fact, I'd be more likely to describe myself as a "fall off a cliff" enthusiast before I ever staked such a claim. But the list came to me, and I knew it would be easier.

When we got home tonight, I got on the phone and started dialing as my wife sat to do her Sudoku. After a few calls, she said, "I don't know why you're afraid of the phone. You're good on the phone..."

"I've heard the messages I've left," I said. "I sound like an idiot. I repeat myself and sound awkward."

"We all do that."

I called a couple of more people, and left a rambling message on one woman's answering machine.

"You see?" I said, "I must have repeated myself  a half dozen times."

"That's always good... I always go to write the message down and then they hang up."

So maybe my rambling is like an executive summary. Maybe rambling isn't so bad.

4 comments:

Ph said...

I hate the phone, too. I repeat and bumble...you can't be worse than me.

Lane said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lane said...

You've got a good wife E, she knows how to massage your mind just right so it doesn't hurt anymore.

evolver said...

Misery loves company phillip. :-)

Lane: I know. :-)