Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Clapton

We went to see Clapton tonight. I will always remember this as one of the highlights of my life. Robert Cray opened for him, and then played with him on "Old Love." The last time I saw too guitarists this good on the same bill was Dire Straits and Stevie Ray Vaughan in 1985; but they didn't play together.

They reproduced several songs from Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs almost perfectly - maybe even better than the originals.Some highlights - he hit the perfect tender note on "Wonderful Tonight", and of course the piano break at the end of Layla. And a great version of "Nobody knows you when you're down and out." It was all highlight really. Mind blowing.

When I was a boy, I had maybe five musical heroes. I've seen three now. Two were Hendrix and the Beatles, which are not possible... so I am now a fully requited concert goer. :-)

No comments: