Monday, December 6, 2004

Morning has broken

I wish I could describe what this weekend was like. But of course, I can't. The trouble with the insights you gain when you participate in a retreat is that these insights are profoundly personal, and difficult to translate into words. That, in some ways, is the beauty of a retreat, or an experience like a retreat; rich layers of meaning are created in your being that can take weeks and even years to fully grasp.

The one thing I can say is that "It is better to give than it is to receive." (To echo Jesus' words.) I felt very privileged to be able to sing of God's glory, and His love to people who were ready for that message, because I think that song is one of the most powerful ways you can make God audible to people who need to hear Him. I am very grateful to my wife, who has been a rock of support to me as I prepared to do my small part in the weekend.

And I came out of the weekend with new songs to learn myself. I have resolved to find and learn a song I heard about Paddy McGinty and his goat. Long story. :-)

No comments: