Wednesday, December 15, 2004

The holiday that dare not speak its name

Cast me in the middle on this one.

I do not wish to be wished "Happy holidays," as I will not be wintering in Acapulco. Nor is it labour day! On the other hand, if people are not comfortable with the quite-specific Merry Christmas, then they do not have to wish me anything. After all, it is Advent right now, and the twelve days of Christmas don't start until December 25.

Christmas is a religious holiday, so I certainly do not demand that stores wish me a merry Christmas. It would be nice, as they no doubt want me to buy gifts from their stores, but I won't be put out of joint by a lack of "Merry Christmas" (although I am not fond of 'season's greetings' - I'd rather you greet me with summer than winter. :-) And the reason I do not insist on a reference to Christian faith from store clerks is because you cannot serve God and mammon. The commercial aspect of Christmas is just that - commercial. Shopping is not the point of Christmas. Not for me, anyway: I don't like to shop. The point is much better expressed in the love that goes into what you buy and make for people. (We're doing a lot of made gifts this year.)

I do take a secret delight in wreathes and Santa, because I know that these symbols are ones malls trot out thinking they are secular. But they are not.

Saint Nicholas (which is phonetically where "Sinter Klaus" is derived from) was a great man. History tells us he was a bishop who wanted to help a family he knew needed a dowry, but was very shy and did not want to be seen trumpeting his generosity. So he dropped gold coins down their chimney, which fell into stockings which had been hung on the mantle to dry, and he was caught in the act. And I believe God wants it so, because in imitating Nicholas' generosity as we now do by tradition on Christmas morning, we also imitate Jesus who said that it is better to give than to receive.

Wreathes were originally meant as an Advent church decoration. Because wreathes are circular, they can't be said to have an end. And in this, they show us the love of God, which also is without end.

God gave the world His only Son, because He so loved the world. And he gave us families and friends, so that we could share the joys of the gift of life. It is a fleeting gift here on Earth, of course. And because of that, this Christmas will be a very melancholy one for us. But it is still Christmas. For when God gave us the gift of each other, he gave us the ability to remember, and the ability to love. And when our love is pure, it reaches beyond the world, and joins the joy of the Heavens, where those who have left us await, and from whence angels came to sing to shepherds so very long ago.

May the peace of God, come to us as an innocent and helpless babe in a manger, be with all of you.

2 comments:

Lane said...

My Christmas gift to you is to tell you what a light you are for me. Your words are a year round gift to me, I feel I will never be able to repay. God bless you sir.(I know he already has) From my heart to yours, "I could not love you more." Im really not trying to blow you up but you are an inspiration in my life and you keep me seeking God's will for me. Thank you and I wish you no "happy holidays" only a very merry Christmas.

evolver said...

Thank you Lane. I have been quite touched and moved by your repeated kindness to me. But the real light, as you know, is the Light that came into the world; the Light is love itself. If we hear the Word that was with and is God, and walk in the light that is that Word, we are doing his will and following his plan. Tomorrow always takes care of itself. :-)