Saturday, March 17, 2007

Out into the woods

So today, even though I was coughing and wheezing, my brother in law and I went out into the woods to fetch wood for the first time in about six weeks. As usual, half the dead trees we took hung up. One he pushed out of the limbs it was caught up in, the other I pulled right out of the tree it was caught in. (This sort of business is something we got carried away with last time - we hung up three huge oaks in the same pine, and cut the pine out from under them - we're lucky we didn't get killed!)

But despite all of our foolhardy bravado, it was good to get out into the woods again - fresh air, the sound of nothing but a woodpecker tapping away at a trunk, good hard work... it is a simple thing, but a "fully alive" moment I always look forward to.

And I also look forward to the hot sauna when we get back. And the lasagna my wife made. :-)

No comments: