Friday, March 9, 2007

Getting old hurts

I think I've mentioned I've recently fulfilled a longtime dream, and gotten ahold of a Fender Telecaster. A telecaster is a type of electric guitar, and was one of the very first fully electric guitars to be manufactured, debuting in 1949. Telecasters had an important part in the birth of rock and roll and the electric blues, and were featured in the recordings of Elvis and B.B. King among others. The telecaster is also the de facto guitar used in country music - few country guitarists play anything else.

Now, for the last week, I've spent every moment I can down in the basement, playing this new beauty, trying to get sounds out of it that I've dreamed about getting. Last night, I went down shortly after dinner, plugged it in, and started playing. After five minutes or so, my index finger ached so badly I had to stop. This old man gave up and went back upstairs.

I guess I'm old enough now that playing in the basement for hours every night isn't something I can do indefinitely anymore. :-)

No comments: