Saturday, January 20, 2007

A winter's day in the woods

Today was an adventure day. This morning we set off in pursuit of firewood. Over the pond we went, and my brother in law said, “Well, that bodes well.”

“It’s the second pond we’ve always gone through on,” I answered.

And into the frozen pond water we promptly went, on the ATV. My brother in law hit the accelerator furiously. I jumped off to lighten the load, and he slowly freed himself. Walking along side the beaver dam, I went in. I pulled my foot out, and went in again.

“Did you go in?” He asked.

“Yep,” I answered.

“We should go back.”

“No, no, I’m fine… really it isn’t too bad.”

“We don’t need to lose any toes over this.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll say if it gets bad.”

So we went, I toughed it out, and what did we do upon getting home? We went ice fishing!

As we walked out onto the ice, heading towards our destination, the sun began to lower towards the horizon. As we passed a couple of islands, 100 meters back from our destination, the ice began to crack. We stepped back to the last island.

“Let’s fish here.” My brother in law said. And so we did. We got a bite, and nothing else. But it was a good and simple day, and as the sun set, not a cloud was to be seen in the sky. And that is all that matters.

No comments: