Saturday, January 6, 2007

Retreat!

I've been asked to lead the music on a retreat shortly after Easter. I've done it for this retreat once before, and it is a lovely thing to do. Music is such an important part of prayer, and vice versa, that I don't think one can truly exist without the other.

I was asked if I wanted to do anything else, such as speak. People are sensitive, I think, that I might feel 'used' for only ever being asked  for help with music. What they don't realize what a joy it is for me to serve in this way. I've always pictured God as having sung the universe into existence, much the way Tolkien writes in the Silmarillon. So I like to think he takes particularly delight when parts of his creation sing their love back to him.

Because you are my help,
       I sing in the shadow of your wings.

(Psalm 63:7)

No comments: