Wednesday, March 22, 2006

A protector God

In thee, O Lord, have I hoped, let me never be confounded; deliver me in thy justice.

Bow down thy ear to me; make haste to deliver me. Be thou unto me a God, a protector, and a house of refuge, to save me.

For thou art my strength and my refuge; and for thy name's sake thou wilt lead me, and nourish me.

Thou wilt bring me out of this snare, which they have hidden for me, for thou art my protector.

Into thy hands I commend my spirit; thou hast redeemed me, O Lord, the God of truth.
(Psalm 31:1-5)

Any Christian who knows what a Good Friday service is like knows the power of those words - "Into thy hands I commend my spirit." It might seem like fatalism to utter such a thing upon death. But it isn't.

It is trust. Pure trust.

if God is anything, he is spirit and truth. And commending to God my spirit does not even require me to wait for my deathbed... or even Good Friday. It requires only trust. Today.

Now.

No comments: