Monday, March 10, 2008

Simon Reisman

With all the stuff in the news about NAFTA, today comes of an obituary worth noting. Simon Reisman, the man who was one of the principle architects of its predecessor has passed away.

When I was a young man around the time the negotiations were taking place, I worked at a Deli. And every day, Simon Reisman came in and ordered the same thing. I don't remember the particulars of what he ordered, but I do remember that he wanted his sandwich a certain way, and watched like a hawk to make sure that was the way you made it.

But he did so in a jocular and friendly manner. I only called him by name once, as if to say, "Is it really you?" He just smiled and nodded, without saying a thing.

1 comment:

Lane said...

Nice, as always, the caring man you are. Hope all is well.