Friday, January 5, 2007

G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)

I have, for a while now, had a whole whack of gift certificates for Long and MacQuade (a music store) saved up. Over Christmas, this collection was added to, shall we say.

I couldn't stand it anymore. So after a dentist appointment on Wednesday, my wife and I dropped by this music store. There were two guitars I had my eye on - a tie dyed Stratocaster in the second hand rack, and a standard Telecaster. So I fetched one of the young sales guys and had him drag down the purple tie dyed Strat. I plugged it in, but the amp it was in had no gain (gain, in guitar terms, is how you get that crunchy, loud electric guitar sound.)  So after a while of me toying in a frustrated way with the amp, the sales guy led me to an isolation room... I guess he was worried I would blow away the other customers.

The guitar had a nice sound - but I have two of this kind of guitar already. Plus it was in pretty rough shape. Someone had taken a huge chunk of paint and polyurethane off the back of the instrument, and the intonation had been put way out. My twenty year old guitars are in better shape. But it was priced cheap... and I have Gear Acquisition Syndrome, a condition common to musicians. I must buy equipment while gift certificates burn a hole in my pocket!

Which led me to a black Fender Telecaster, just the standard model. It was the only one they had left - there were other Telecaster guitars, but all were deluxe in some way. But this standard, basic instrument has a great, hot sound. I know because my wife brought it over, and I plugged it in and tried it!

So with the gift certificates covering about 2/3 of the cost, my wife convinced me to put it on layaway. I hope I don't have to wait too long to come up with the rest of it. I want to play!

No comments: