Monday, April 3, 2006

The whisper of a lost name in the wind

The IgNoble Experiment, a.k.a. Live Dangerously!: Fun At The Cemetery

I was moved by this entry, in which Irina speaks of "a chance to those who didn't live long enough to have descendants." It got me reminiscing about a particular incident. (I may have blogged about this before, but my wife says I am senile, and I believe her because I frequently forget details like this. :-)

Near where my parents had their farm, in a town called Delta, is a wonderful little beach and park. My parents used to bring us to the beach all the time when my brother and I were teenagers. When my kids were younger, my wife and I used to take them there all the time. We even camped there once or twice.

Beside the park is Delta's cemetery. On days when I was feeling quiet and contemplative, I used to wander through the cemetery, hoping I might connect with the dead. In that place, there seems to be great peace, and although a cemetery is the scene of many tears, a sense of calm prevails in this one. Perhaps it is the setting, perhaps the breeze, perhaps the sound of children laughing in the nearby park.

As I wandered through one day, in the early nineties, I noticed fresh flowers and a wooden carving at one of the stones. The carving was a wooden heart, and pyrographed onto the maple heart was one simple word - “Emily.” The stone said about her simply, “Taken into eternity November 23, 1987.”

You can tell a little about someone from her grave. Her married name was on it, but her maiden name featured most prominently. She was only twenty three – someone who had just set out to begin their adult life, much as my own daughter just has – and it was cut short.

It is very important that the memory of people continue in this world. I do not know why that is, but I know it in the heart of my being. And so I have kept a memory of this Emily with me. I have no idea who she is, other than to imagine that in the small town of Delta, I surely passed her on the sidewalk or in the park one day. But the memory of Emily matters.

And because it matters, I remember.

2 comments:

Irina Tsukerman said...

I wonder whether cemeteries have any records of people who lie there, of whether there's any way to do some research...

evolver said...

Yes, actually, they usually do have such records. It is one of the primary tools people doing family genealogy research use, cemetery records.