Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Transit strike

The local bus and train drivers are threatening to reject the offer made to their union here in Ottawa. If they do reject it, they could be out on strike within a week or two. Now I am a public transit user - I take the O-Train and the bus a lot. But I began to kick my transit addiction a bit this year, as I started biking just about everywhere that I go. Biking is even better for the environment than transit. (Public transit could be called a glorified car pool with lots of stops and rather large cars.)

But I am a little bit nervous about biking in late October and November. If it rains overnight, the bike lane could be icy first thing in the morning. And snow is not too far away. I'd be terrified, even with pretty ridgy tires, of trying to ride in that. Also, there is not a lot of daylight right now, and there will potentially be even less when Daylight Savings kicks out.

But the exercise will be good for me. In the last few months of biking, I have paradoxically felt worse and better than ever: worse in that my knees and backside were always sore; and better in that I don't get out of breath much and feel healthier now. We have an old exercise bike out in the garage. I wonder if I should bring it in? :-)

No comments: