Saturday, October 8, 2005

God with us

I have a private miracle. It is the joy of the Eucharist, and it is private somehow even though it is in the presence of an entire congregation. It is the living flame of God's presence, real and made physically manifest through the accidental appearance of bread and wine.

Who could know that when Jesus said, when two or three of you gather in my name, I am there with you, that this is only the vaguest hint of how true that could be? Who could know that the saying that scared off so many disciples, who found it so disturbing and cannibalistic - my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink - reflects a grace of such profundity that it sends shivers and sparks up and down my spine to know about it?

Communion, the Last Supper, Eucharist: it is the alpha and omega of all Christian mysticism, and the true rapture. We are hoisted up to heaven for a moment as in our everyday skin we are lifted up to literally and actually touch God.

No comments: