Monday, June 13, 2005

Thank God for weekdays

Work is air conditioned.

We slept in the basement last night, too. We rented "Stripes", "The Life Aquatic", and "I Heart Huckabees." I didn't stay awake for much of it, but I can't say I really slept either. I slept this feverish kind of waking dream, something that involved (I think) losing my bus pass and Star Wars characters.

I knew one of us would have to be on the clock, so when I woke up at 4 AM, I migrated to our oven^H^H^H^H... uh bedroom. I don't need the alarm clock to trigger awakenness, but I do rely on daylight, which would not have happened in the basement. After shearing away the covers, I slept, but woke up with an awful headache. I got everyone up on time this morning. The first bus in today was excruciating, but the second was one of those low floor buses with the wicked-powerful air conditioning. Even though it was packed and I had to stand, that was an amazing relief. Whuh.

I got to see what dedication looked like at church yesterday. At practice in the basement, twelve worn out and melting people barely lurched through the songs we were supposed to do. Upstairs, under the hot lights of the altar, twelve people sang their lungs out with a passionate and feeling delivery. I wish I had more chances to tell everyone how impressed I am with them.

Our pastor began to preach a homily about Christ's compassion (the reading was about the harvest is large and the labourers few.) Before he got far into it he said to the sweltering congregation, "And now to show Christ's compassion to you, I will immediately end my homily!" My poor daughter in a white alb must have been happy at those words.

Thank God it will be rain and twelve degrees tomorrow.

2 comments:

A said...

I promise...I promise...I promise...I UNDERSTAND. I have definitely had occurances where my AC has been broken, or we've been in places without it...and I know it's miserable. We in Texas FEEL YOUR PAIN. At least we are mentally prepared to deal with it for at least 4-5 months of the year....I can't even imagine how difficult it is up there to deal with the heat. Especially when your houses aren't built to deal with it, nor anything else. You have my sympathies. :) Now, I'll be looking for your sympathies come wintertime when I'm complaining about temps in the 20's fahrenheit!

evolver said...

Oh and you'll get it. Cold is something you get used to. Minus four celsius feels like absolute zero in November, but not too bad by January. When you'll go from forty-four down to the twenties, all I have to do is picture an icy November night! :-)