Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Heat update

We did not get quite the twelve degrees celsius I had hoped for - but the twenty six degrees we have is an improvement, and I'll take it.

The cat has been following people around and meowing at them, a sure sign the weather has grown modestly tolerable. The last few days he has simply lain about, prostrate and stretched out on the ground. He's been eating again, and well, appetites throughout the household are returning, including mine.

My parents were in town yesterday. My youngest daughter and I went to see them at the hotel they stay at. We visited for a bit, went to swim in the pool for a bit, and then visited some more. While we were in the poor, some Asian tourists who didn't really speak English laughed at my antics in the pool - handstands, swimming lengths underwater, and surfacing like an otter. Soon they were all doing exactly the same, but somewhat more boisterously. I had spentthe day too hot to be too self-conscious about the matter.

Perhaps it is the heat, but I have been very disconnected of late. My spiritual core feels a little vacant. I know these things happen, and I've been through it enough not to be too worried (although I'm too neurotic not to worry some.) Faith always deepens and strengthens when you come out the other side. I know the advice any wise person would give - pray. I have to believe my prayers are heard right now. It does not always feel to me like theyshould be. How much can a person ask?

I'm reminded of the Bill Cosby skit when he talks about gamblers each praying for numbers, and God getting confused with all the incoming numbers, and responding, "Bust 'em all!"

Funny, I know, but I have to remember that God's not like that. He really can do all that math. :-)

No comments: