Thursday, June 30, 2005

A complex relationship between two countries

This is an interesting essay. And unfortunately, it has a grain of truth to it. There have certainly been times in our history when the zeitgeist has been a smug superiority complex that is wholely unwarranted.

Macleans.ca | Canada Switchboard | Essay | Un-Happy Birthday, Canada

Even in the most recent edition of Dose, which asked people what they liked about living in Canada, one of the ten people made a snidely superior remark that didn't address America directly, but you could tell that this was where it was directed.

Still, one need only look at the byline to know that when I say "grain of truth" I really do mean "grain of truth." Despite our unfortunate affection for the "Joe Canadian" commercial of a few years ago, most Canadians don't spend their days thinking about America - at least not in a way that is compatible with the way Americans might think about it. As an outsider, I suspect that America, to Americans, is more of an ideal than a place in a lot of ways - a melange of principles regarding the way a society ought to be mixed in with good feelings about heart and home. I know I'm oversimplifying things somewhat, because the song "This Land is Your Land" is clearly a celebration of American geography.

But what is called the "American dream" does not have a direct analogue in Canada. Canada is still too new and unsettled I think to have such a national success mythology. People coming to Canada are simply glad to get away from wars, poverty, or persecution. Later, as they add their richness to our culture, Canada changes with them. America's sense of who it is is too settled to have the same thing happen, so a fixed idea like the American Dream can be a permanent part of the landscape.

We're still becoming who we are. If we dream about anything, we dream about open spaces - bursting forth from our (ironically) crowded cities into the vast barren land. As a result, the idea that Canada is part of an "axis of envy" misses the mark I think. In poll after poll, Canadians tend to be quite confident that they have the best standard of living in the world, so I really can't imagine envy entering into the equation. Adventure perhaps? I know that's what probably leads Americans to live here (between 600,000 and 1,000,000 Americans live here, one of our largest ethnic groups.)

No American I've ever met lives in Canada because they hate George Bush, John Kerry, or whomever. You hear that about some of the famous migrants (like the one Gibson quotes, or that fellow from "Law and Order" who moved to Canada because he hated Janet Reno.) But most Americans I've met living in Canada did it for love, for adventure or both. I mean really - who moves because of politics? I'm sure not going to sell my house and move to Vermont if the Conservative party is elected, and I cannot imagine any American, no matter how Democratic, giving up the land they love over Dubya. He's not worth it! (And he'll be gone in three years.)

As for me? My relationship with the United States has been far too complex to ever characterize it as "anti-American" or "envy. It has always been a combination of

- fascination: there are so many different people, many of the varying States feel like different countries, with their own culture (and your politics are far more interesting than ours - our Parliamentary races only last 60 days!)

- annoyance (when particular presidents whom I won't name are elected. But this isn't anti-Americanism - I felt the same way when Brian Mulroney was elected here!)

- wanderlust: I love exploring America. From the mountains and valleys of Tennessee to the glades of Florida, I wish I could see it all!

- admiration: When Americans do great things, they are truly great things. Putting a man on the moon is the pinnacle of human achievement. When they dream, they dream big!

As you can see, my positive feelings far outweigh any negative ones. And even the negative ones are not 'envy' - they are the natural result of the close proximity in family. You know how it is when cousin Fred leaves the cap off the toothpaste? That's how it is for me when my American cousins elect Dubya. That ain't anti-Americanism. Just the natural result of living very near a somewhat poor decision. ;-)

1 comment:

A said...

Well, it isn't a very complicated relationship here, I don't think. I honestly don't think most Americans spend much time thinking about any other country...unless they have family ties to that country or our military is involved there. I think the typical view of Canada is that they are our nice unintimidating neighbors to the north. The most we are reminded about Canada is when we see a Canadian price on a good or if we happen to see directions on a product in French.

Of course, the case may be, that I am so far south that Canadian influence is relatively non-existant. There is a TON of Mexican influence however.

When it comes to the American dream..well, I've given this some thought as an American history teacher. We have this story, this myth (OK, patriots, don't jump all over me here...it IS a myth) that we just stood up to Mama Britain and made ourselves out of pure resolve and goodness. I remember when I was in school that I wasn't even taught that the French came to bail us out in the Revolution. So much of our identity is tied to being this nation that was strong enough to overthrow our colonial ties and do it our way. Many kudos go to our founding fathers...they had some great ideals. I still think we're great...and I personally still believe in those ideals. I'm just not so keen on how our government is being carried out at the moment. Jefferson, Washington, and probably even Hamilton are most likely rolling in their graves.

There is a huge "can do" attitude here. I also think there is the attitude, that is lacking in Europe, that a person can escape their social class restrictions and become whomever they choose to be. Every first grader believes that should he or she so choose, they could be president some day. Now the realities of that are of course doubtable...but I LOVE that there is that belief.

Ok, drivel now over.

Happy Canada Day.
I like Canada....how can a country who has given us so many great people be anything but wonderful (and no, I'm not just talking about one mr. rufus wainwright).
:)