Saturday, February 24, 2007

Disciplines for Lent

Jesus said to them, “The wedding guests cannot fast while the bridegroom is with them, can they? As long as they have the bridegroom with them, they cannot fast." (Mark 2:19)

Giving up stuff for Lent isn't simply a way of flogging oneself with discomfort, or making oneself miserable. It is a way of responding to Psalm 46's injuntion, "Be still and know that I am God." Sometimes in the noisy din of food and pleasures we deafen the ears and blind the eyes of our spiritual selves. Lenten discipline is a way of taking those senses back, and listening for a different master. It is the comfort of the "food to eat that you do not know about." (John 4:32)

1 comment:

Ph said...

It's interesting, because when I was younger it was a huge deal to give something up. For the past couple of years I've given up coffee, which I've received slack from from friends simply because I do it every year. But it's such a habit to drink it and have it in the car on my drive. I mean let's be honest. If I could have an IV of it, I probably would. So to me, it seems like a valid thing to give up.

But ultimately, I don't view it as a way of flogging myself, so to speak. I do it more as a sacrifice of something that I enjoy, which is slightly different than inflicting pain on yourself.