Friday, December 8, 2006

Recovery

I've spent the last two days recovering from surgery on my jaw Wednesday afternoon. I'm not allowed to do anything atheletic at the moment. This has been harder on me than I thought.

The reason for this is that I have been in a hurry all my life. When I was younger and my wife and I both worked at the restaurant, I ran home from work, I ran to work. Or I biked in high gear. We didn't have a car, so together we walked everywhere. But when I was alone, I ran. I ran down Somerset street, and then on to Bronson, all the way past Gladstone, and then home.

Now at the age of forty one, I still run everywhere that I don't bike. I don't walk, because it always seems to take too long. So I run, wearing the most un-ergonomic dress shoes imaginable, like my life depends on it. Last night, thinking it was time I get some fresh air, I offered to go to the store to get my wife and daughter some ice cream. And as I set out, I had to fight the strong urge to run... and I had to fight that urge all the way there, and all the way back.

On my way back, I thought to myself, How am I ever going to be able to handle being old?  I doubt I will be able to admit to myself that it is time to stop running. So if in twenty five years, you see some senior citizen running wherever he goes... come say hello. It will surely be me!

3 comments:

Irina Tsukerman said...

Hope you're feeling better and recover soon!

Lane said...

Ditto Irina. It's funny how we get get set in our habits, good and bad. I got a good chuckle out of the mental image of you running in dress shoes, slacks and a shirt... Mormonesque train of thought I think but nonetheless funny :-)

evolver said...

Thank you both.

You've imagine it pretty close to the way it looks, Lane. :-)