Thursday, December 14, 2006

People who don't see how wonderful they are

My wife had to give a talk on the "You Shall not Kill" commandment to a Catechism class the other night. Rather than a dry or technical discussion, she designed a personal witness talk; rather than address a single issue, she planned to talk about them all - war, abortion, suicide, euthanasia, palliative care, and bioethics. While she wasn't as nervous about this talk as she has been for other talks in the past, I don't think she really thought that she was going to do really well at it. I wasn't there, but I heard from some folks who were that she knocked it out of the park with a touching, funny, heartfelt, and personal address - several people said afterwards that nobody but her should ever give that talk again.

One fellow even phoned our answering machine yesterday morning and told her she had changed his life. She seemed perplexed by this.

That kind of humility is a wonderful thing to behold, and a good part of why I love her like I do.

No comments: