Friday, March 17, 2006

Science and religion: not mutually exclusive

I like this article.


I have never understood why some people think science and Platonic reasoning have to be exalted and deified into a new form of monotheism - thou shalt have no other forms of understanding but these.

Logic is useful. As a computer programmer, I could not even get through a day without it. But it is logic's utility that is important. It is not a God, nor even a singular way to gain understanding.

Theology was once called the Queen of the Sciences. It was exalted above others because it dealt with ideas so abstract that some of them literally can't be brought down to Earth. And yet, can I say that because this is so, that I am not entitled to think Civitas Dei a sublime work, or to find real delight and insight in the writings of Ben Sirach?

Logic is an excellent tool. But then, experience is a good teacher, the Psalmist a great poet, and God a great master! I do not have to forgo these latter to get the benefit of the former...

No comments: