Friday, March 24, 2006

Darwin's pet dies

Fascinating - a tortoise older than the one Darwin collected from the Galapagos two centuries ago has finally passed away. (That one is still alive.)

CANOE -- CNEWS - Science: Tortoise, thought to be among world's oldest creatures, dies in Calcutta zoo

On a similar note, last night, I let my twenty year old cat outside, as he likes to sniff the air and see what's going on. When I went to get him twenty minutes later, he had his back up and was mewling at something. As I walked over, he ran across the lawn, jumped on a white and grey cat, and started rolling around on top of him, biting, scratching and shrieking.

"Dusty!" I shouted.

The other cat ran off. I picked up my stiff-tailed cat, and dragged him into the house.

"You're a hundred years old," I lectured him. "Aren't you a bit long in the tooth for this? You could be his... distant ancestor, you know?"

His tail was still stiff as I calmed him with cat treats upstairs.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Amazing that the tortoise lived that long!

mscamille said...

Honestly, I've never heard of a cat living that long! I hope my cat lives that long...