Thursday, September 8, 2005

My picture in the paper

I had my picture in the paper a few days ago. There was an article in the city section, a long article, about how the pastor of our church had used music to transform our church into one of the most popular parishes in the city. The article in particular focused on the music group I belong to, the "Rock the Glebe" folk group. It tells the story of how our leader was asked to set up the group nine years ago when the church had about forty five people attending it (that included us.)

The reporter got what we try to do, noting the blues, gospel, and country flavours we try to touch. A fiddler player we once had described us as bluegrass-gospel. Anyway, the photo for the article had me front and center - I started out at the back, but the photographer kept moving me up because she wanted the guitar prominently in the shot. I ended up dominating the picture, which is a bit embarrassing, since it is a group effort, and I'm not even the leader.

And the fellow who is our group's leader wasn't thrilled with how it turned out - he got misquoted. One thing I was personally gratified to learn was the reporter liked my blues guitar playing, saying it sounded like slide guitar.

I aim to please. :-)

No comments: