Monday, September 3, 2007

Back? Well, we'll see

Hello.

Funny that my last post should be a throwaway number about Harry Potter, and that my next post, many months later should be a dry science rebuttal. There have been a lot of things keeping me offline - an incredibly hectic work schedule; a long vacation we took out east to Quebec and the Maritimes; and then finally, an awful computer crash (my elder daughter came over to our house while we were away, attempted to install World of Warcraft, and completely ruined our Windows installation beyond all repair.)

But a simpler truth is that I simply ran out of things to say. The first year I blogged, there were a lot of changes in my life, particularly the loss of a family member. The next year, I turned forty. The year after that I became a grandfather. Those were fundamental shadows and light on the texture of my life, and I had to record what I was thinking about that somewhere.

Knock on wood, but there is just not that much new going on with us at the moment. I put a lot more effort into my music this year, but since music is itself a form of expression, it didn't inspire me to blog, but kind of drained what energy I have for it.

The result is, I did not blog. And I was fine with that, actually.

So I finally understand disappearing bloggers. I've seen a few sail off into the sunset, including some of my favourite reads. Now I get how easy it is to do - one day, you decide you just don't feel like posting any more, and so you don't. And you don't the next day... or the day after that.

The other day, for the first time, I actually felt moved to post something, a response to a science paper where I felt I knew enough about the subject matter to effectively rebut it. And I realized I really only had one outlet where I could just write an essay, and toss it online - my blog.

So... we will see. Will I feel like posting again this week? Maybe - and I hope so. I've certainly missed interacting with some of the people I've known online, I do know that much.

We'll see if I can get the posting bug back.

1 comment:

Irina Tsukerman said...

Welcome back!