Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Boy time goes quick

The granddaughter stood up on her own the other day, when my daughter came over with "Superman Returns." I still think of her as a newborn, and yet there I was looking at her stand!

The praise night came and now is done. It went really well - I am a worry-wart, and yet it all turned out fine. Some stronger singers made the next practice, giving confidence to the more nervous ones. By Tuesday night, I was comfortable that it was going to turn out fine, and it did. We went longer than I expected, an hour and a half. And it took a while to get people singing - participating, instead of observing. But it happened.

We sang the gospel number, "Total Praise" and "Praise You in this Storm," because I thought the psalmist's line "I lift my eyes unto the hills" would make a great Advent theme for this Praise Night. It is the shining city on the Hill we look to in our own lives: the city we long to get to, the metaphorical Jerusalem. Advent, as a season, is all about the promise that someday we will reach it.

And now December is well underway. It is a busy month, with nowhere near enough days in it.

1 comment:

Ph said...

I love Praise You In The Storm (but you knew that). I'm glad the night went well. We also had our first lay lead contemporary service. It went well, I think, but I'm a little biased as I was leading it.