Monday, October 2, 2006

God is real

Every once in a while things happen that convince me that God is there; he's not just an abstract non-presence who may or may not have created everything. He's actually and really right there.

On Saturday, my wife and I went to a conference on formation, a session on teaching catechism classes basically. Part of the session involved recreating the rites, with a couple of the participants playing the part of catechumens. When we went to the doors to get the catechumens... there's no other way to put this, as quaint as it may sound... the Holy Spirit fell on us, and we were all weeping. I know how this must sound - like charismatic claptrap. But I have to remember that this was not a group of sentimental charismatics. This was a large group of Catholic instructors, generally the most straight-laced and by the book people we have. And we wept freely, like children. Nobody went to move.

Yesterday, I went in to mass early to accompany one of the other music groups on the mandolin - specifically on a spanish song. When mass had ended, someone came up and told us of how her mother had passed away to the strains of that very song, two weeks earlier. None of us had known about this, and yet we had been instruments of both tender gentleness and incomprehensible power.

Where were you when I founded the earth? Tell me, if you have understanding.
Who determined its size; do you know? Who stretched out the measuring line for it?
Into what were its pedestals sunk, and who laid the cornerstone,
While the morning stars sang in chorus and all the sons of God shouted for joy?
(Job 38:4-7)

3 comments:

Ph said...

I was going to post a really deep comment here, but I realized that our little Godwink kinda took care of that...

evolver said...

Yeah, in God's non-chalant way, he always gets the last say, doesn't he? :-)

Ph said...

I wish God was a little more non-chalant...it'd make things easier.