Monday, January 30, 2006

Too young for senility

When we were out in the woods chopping wood this weekend, I had a chat with my brother in law about grandfather-hood. We’re both going to become grandfathers at around the same time - in his case, about three weeks ahead of me in April or late March.

We’re both going to be fairly young grandfathers. Many men my age are only fairly recent fathers. He said this was a good thing: “You and I get to be the model grandfather. We’ll do stuff with them. We will be important in their lives. We will have fun with them, and get it right this time.”

He stopped and thought about it. “We won’t be, like, eighty year grampas, giving the kid two cents and telling them to go buy gum at the store. We’re young enough that we know the price of gum!”

No comments: