Friday, December 7, 2007

Living at home

That's what my daughter's doing, now, along with my granddaughter. It feels a little surreal. It is nice to have a toddler around the house again, doing all the cute stuff that they do. And it is exhausting.

But mostly it is hard to fathom. How could I possibly be old enough to be a grandfather? I certainly don't feel like a grandfather... (and the little one, bless her heart, does not call me grandpa yet... she calls me "Mommy!")

I don't have gray hair, there isn't hair pouring out of my ears, I don't have small spectacles that I stare out over, and I'm not bent and withered.  So how can I possibly be grandpa? Except that I am.

The Iraq war now has a personal dimension. My daughter is quasi-seeing (in this modern 'met over the Internet, never in person' way that people can date now) a young man serving in Iraq, a guy from Texas. So now I have another reason to hope that the war ends soon - the safety of this very polite young man.

It seems that my daughter will be moving into my music room. So my music making is going to be a little harder to do. That depresses me a little. I've grown very attached to making music the last few years... I don't have any sort of social life now, and making music has been how I connect to the world outside of these four walls.

If I lose that, what's left? I will have drawn so far inside of myself that I will be like a black hole with an event horizon... stuff comes into me, but never gets out.

2 comments:

mscamille said...

I hope you find a way to keep making music. I regret that I have yet to really do that, something I've always wanted to do. I have all the tools, but I just don't do it...it's good to do what you know makes you happy.

evolver said...

Thank you. I hope you find a way to work it into your schedule, too. To express what's bottled up in there is good food for the soul. :)

What do you play?